Friday, January 15, 2010

Aunt Brenda's Homemade Chicken or Beef Noodles

Picture is: (L to R) Aunt Brenda, Mom (Joan Hart), Brenda's Daughter Tracy Joan (Davis) McClellan and Cousin Pauline Garrett.
Title: Aunt Brenda's Noodles for Beef or Chicken


Description:I'm going to try & fit her entire letter in here! Here goes and I'm going to write it just like she wrote it to me.


OK Shelly, you wanted to make noodles and I'm going to try and lead you through. You know this would be easier if you were here don't ya? Oh well! Can't blame me for trying to get you out here, I miss you all.


Since you aren't here, here we go, you will need the following:


*A big enough clean area (like kitchen table) to work on.

*An apron on or something that you don't care if you get flour all over the front of you. Don't feel bad! I get flour all over the front of me everytime!

*A rolling pin to roll out noodles

*Big bowl for mixing dough in

*Small bowl to beat up the eggs in

*1 cup measuring cup & 1 Tblsp Measure & 1 tsp measure

*Big sharp knife to cut noodles

*Cutting board to cut noodles on so you don't cut up your table.

*Flour bag or Canister

*Salt box (with salt in it)

*Eggs

*Butter Shortening


Now some tips:


*When you mix up the dough with your hands you can use a little flour to get it off, also to get the dough off the bowl. JUST A LITTLE!

*Do not knead the dough alot you will make the noodles tough!

*You can use A LITTLE WATER in the dough to make it more workable.

*Make sure you have a light layer of flour on table under noodles when you roll out. If they stick use a little flour.

*If you double or triple the recipe roll out you dough in separate batches

* Roll out dough so it's not real thick or paper thin

*There is no certain law when you make noodles. After the first time you will adjust to preferences

*When you add the noodles to broth make sure it's boiling and don't add all at once. Add them gradually or they will all clump up in a ball. So as you add, Stir too! And stir often while cooking to prevent sticking in bottom of your pot. If they start sticking just turn the fire down a little. Don't know how long they take to cook, but I taste at intervals for tenderness.


Boy - I wish we were doing this in person, it would be hilarious I'd love it! We have such a GREAT time! Tell Doug to take pictures of your 1st time I'd love to see them! Really sounds like alot but it really isn't and in time you'll be a PRO! Good luck!!


Now for the recipe... You can adjust this bigger, smaller depending on how much you want to make. This recipe is just for Bernard & I, but I double and triple for all of us! For me at work I "5 times it"! I serve 80 + people (Brenda cooks at a local hospital in Ohio)


OK!Cook Noodles in 3 - 4 Qts Broth (maybe more - maybe less... )


Place flour & salt & butter flavor Crisco in bowl & mix until shortening is mixed up. (Possibly mix w/fork to blend) Add eggs & mix in well til dough is rollable.


Once dough is mixed place on floured surface on table and roll out (not too thick - not too thin) into shape of circle. Works well if you divide the total amount of dough in half or into 4 small batches & roll each into circle. Cut circle into 1/4's or cut in half then half again so you get four pie shaped pieces for the circle. Stack the four pieces with flour between the layers so they don't stick to each other. Roll up, jelly roll fashion and cut slices from one end to the other. Sprinkle with little more flour on slices then toss and separate with fingers. Lay aside and repeat until done.


Then add noodle to boiling broth and cook.


Hope you understand what I've written, tried to cover everything. If you have questions just call me and I'll try to explain further. It's really easy! Really it is!!If you make too many noodles you can freeze them but you got to make sure that they dry out all the way before freezing them in a zip lock bag!


Ingredients:


2 Cups Flour

1 teaspoon (tsp) salt

2 Tablespoons (TBLSP) butter flavor Crisco shortn'g

2 Eggs (beaten a little)


Directions:


See the discription above please.


This is a recipe I've been bugging my Aunt Brenda to give me for a long time! It's the first thing I like to have to eat when I go to Ohio to visit besides Jowl Bacon! Above was a letter pretty much to me from her and I just cherish what ever she tells me and always will. The only other part that's not in her directions is to cook 1 whole chicken in the slow cooker all day while you're at work or whatever OR you can cook stew beef in the slow cooker with some broth then when you get home you just skim off any fat from the broth & add more broth or a little water to cook your noodles in. It's really simple because the noodles can be made up ahead of time!


Number Of Servings: 2 - 4 but can be doubled, tripled etc....

Preparation Time: Awhile, so do it when you have time.

No comments: