Wednesday, February 11, 2009

February 11, 2009

Life yesterday and today... I'm not sure which word has appeared in my mind more... so I'll just jot down some of them. Weather, Ice, Fear, Thankfulness, Sorrow, Pain, Confusion, Greatful, Helpless, Hopeful, Blessed, Loved, Blank, Emotional but Emotionless. I'm sure there is more but for now this will do.

Yesterday I left work and went to the store. From the store I began my ride home in the freezing rain. It is the worst ice I've driven on since 1978. I was 18 then and went up the hill my father told me not too and my Pinto turned sidways in the middle of the hill. I was scared then and I was scared lastnight. Driving up the highway I got to mile marker 93 and saw two cars break lights off on the right side of the road. Thinking the road may be slippery and assuming they were on the side for a reason I slowed down. Before getting to the first car I could see that a car had done a whoopti-do in the road to the left bounced off the bank and over to the right. That person was out of their car on the snowbank calling for help. Then there was another car, I put my breaks on to slow more and I was sliding because my breaks kept locking up! I pumped them slower, but each time they would lock. I got past and around the corner then it looked like a demolision derby on 93 North!!! I know there was one car on each side of the road and my truck wouldn't stop and I was headed toward the median side, so I said "Please God let this work" as I remembered that I was in two wheel drive not four. I reached down pulled as hard as I could to put it into 4X4... gave her a little gas and the front end started to pull a bit into control so thankfully I got between the two cars and was now clear. My mind is a blank at this point... but I remember counting 10 cars in a 1/4 mile from the first car to exit 30, calling 911 and getting off at exit 30! OM GOSH! I wanted to stop to see if someone needed help but I knew it would only be worse if I stopped because nobody else could stop or control their cars! S-C-A-R-E-D!!! Later that night my son (who works for the State) called to see if I was home and tell me to watch the news because someone died on the highway. It is someone we know... I watched the news, they didn't release the name but I knew the car and it confirmed what Jason heard. My boys went to school with the man's children. My heart is so heavy for this family right now. The ride tonight, in the rain through that very same area of road was gut wrenching for me... It could have been me that also ran into the group of cars and people out of their cars. It was not though and I know it was only because the Lord reached down and safely guided me through the mess....... I'll get better but I just can't express the way I feel right now. These are meer words and don't match the sorrow I feel. Also I feel thankful but because he was so seriously injured I ask how can I praise God for getting through when such a productive citizen and parent, husband etc didn't make it in the blink of an eye. My prayer is for this family to be tremendously blessed despite this early loss that his children and family continue making him proud.

It's almost 10pm and 38 degrees out tonight. I should go to bed soon since I had difficulty getting to sleep lastnight... R.I.P. NGUI SHOU I will not forget the terror of this tragic nite.

No comments: